Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Commercial work

IMG_3780

Today was a bit of a departure for me. I spent the afternoon doing commercial work for a local print company. The images were going to be used for brochures and such, and not portraiture in the traditional sense.

IMG_3781

I was very challenged during this shoot. The lighting at the location was primarily florescent, which is the worst kind of lighting for a photographer. Florescent lighting actually has several color temperatures throughout a single sine wave, and if your shutter speed is too fast, you will typically end up with a horrible green or yellow cast that is not easily fixed. I was basically left with two options: use strobes, or try to balance for the fluorescent lights. Each option has it's pros and cons.

In the end, I have several GB worth of images, and I think the client will be thrilled. They have a bunch of great stuff to work with and update this manufacturing company's marking material.

Of course, I did take a bit of an opportunity to play a little bit, and stretch my artistic side. BTW, shooting welding is TOUGH. The light is changing constantly, and usually the environment isn't the most appealing from an aesthetic perspective.

IMG_4044


Click on the images for larger sizes.