Monday, February 21, 2011

Rainy Daze



The weather this past weekend has been very non-typical for Arizona. We had very high winds, lots and lots of rain, and even got some snow in the mountains just behind the studio. Basically, it was very cold and dreary. Of course, I had an outdoor, springtime themed shoot scheduled, and sadly that had to be postponed.

With some free time on my hands, I though I'd try something that I've always thought was pretty cool: photographing smoke. I headed off to the store, bought some incense, and a neat container to burn it in, and made my way back to the studio. A simple black backdrop, a strobe with gels and a grid was all I needed. For a first timer, I'm pretty thrilled with the results. The smoke gives off a very feminine feel, or at least it does to me. Of course, that could just be the "buzz" from spending a couple hours in a room full of burning incense.







I did some special editing on these two, and the shapes they created are pretty amazing.